Welcome

The Sons of Thunder is a Christian band and part of a larger, growing group of average guys who have decided to take a stand for Christ and work on becoming better husbands and fathers - yes, even sons.

The Sons of Thunder was hatched about 5 years ago. This group often leads/joins a larger group of men in study and prayer and seeks to serve the wider community.

Based in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, SOT has been known to tackle a range of projects - everything from home maintenance chores to helping move immigrant families. In 2008, the group did some missions work in NYC serving, playing and singing at the Bowery Mission. As is often the case, those who went to 'minister' were 'ministered to'. When the praises go up...the blessings come down!

If you live on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, look us up at Bridgewater Baptist Church. And feel free to invite us to lead or participate in your event. We love road trips! Rock on!

Friday, May 2, 2008

What's Coming?

I can’t help but wonder what is next. You’ve heard me say that we’ve got to get more gigs. The music part has been a total blast and it has really drawn us together but maybe what I really long for is for us to continue meeting and sharing our exciting life-changing message. Hey, there’s only one pastor in the band but we each have a powerful, impactful story of our own. Each one of us is capable. Each one's story is different and meaningful.

Thank you David for the challenge and for being the first to step up and boldly post your testimony. Trouble is, for me, is I doubt that I can wait a whole month to be next.

Thank you Jeff for the passionate and supportive message. Hey, it could go down as one of the most famous speeches never given. I love it! “Burn The Ships”! Such a great statement of faith!

You may know this about me. It’s no secret - I am not much of a reader. Now and then, however, I stumble upon something that stirs me. Victoria actually pointed out this piece from Oswald Chambers’ devotional “My Utmost For His Highest” (May 2nd): “If we have only what we have experienced, we have nothing. If we have the inspiration of the vision of God, we have more than we can experience. Our reach must exceed our grasp. Things come to you with greatness and add vitality to your life because everything is energized by God.”

Phillipians 3:12,13: “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead”. (NIV)

The Message translation puts it this way: “I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.”

So, we keep moving ahead. We must. There is so much to say about how God is working and how I see him changing me and the hearts of those around me. Silence doesn’t say much.

It would be sad if the band was never invited to play again but it wouldn’t matter because The Sons of Thunder could go on a speaking tour. Who can keep quiet?

It is so good to be coming alive. Remember the movie Braveheart and the words of William Wallace, “All men die, few men ever really live”.

“To settle for less, or to have less, sounds like a compromise with misery.” – Craig McConnell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It shouldn't surprise me, but it always does... when a devotional for a given day seems to be written just for you and specifically for an issue you are facing. Oh, how I LOVE how He works...

If I had time, I'd cross-stitch those last two sentences from Chambers onto a pillow or something. For now, a scrap of paper will do.

Note to self: Get back on track with 'My Utmost for His Highest' - a copy you and Vic gave us a few years ago... I'm not good with the consistency of any of my devotionals, but I know I need to be. Thanks for the kick in the pants!