Welcome

The Sons of Thunder is a Christian band and part of a larger, growing group of average guys who have decided to take a stand for Christ and work on becoming better husbands and fathers - yes, even sons.

The Sons of Thunder was hatched about 5 years ago. This group often leads/joins a larger group of men in study and prayer and seeks to serve the wider community.

Based in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, SOT has been known to tackle a range of projects - everything from home maintenance chores to helping move immigrant families. In 2008, the group did some missions work in NYC serving, playing and singing at the Bowery Mission. As is often the case, those who went to 'minister' were 'ministered to'. When the praises go up...the blessings come down!

If you live on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, look us up at Bridgewater Baptist Church. And feel free to invite us to lead or participate in your event. We love road trips! Rock on!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Lesson In Lawn Maintenance

A few days ago I circulated a quick email plea for help. A senior couple in our church needed some yard work done so I put out a call to the guys. No need to identify the folks. No glory is sought from the experience – I simply post this to share what I learned last night.

First, let me tell you how blessed I am by my friends. It is rare these days for men to share in a warm, inviting and supportive fellowship. It seems almost anti-guy doesn't it? Society somehow paints a picture of the man who stands alone as the strong man...alone and strong like the Malboro Man. Truth is we need each others’ strength. As men, we are busy with the stuff of life – kids, wives, work and our own lawn maintenance. So much is asked of us on a daily basis.

A dozen guys came to share the work last evening. The number alone speaks powerfully to me.

Secondly, I was impacted by the lady of the house who openly shared her fears of what lies ahead for her ailing husband. There will difficult decisions to make. There are so many questions that remain unanswered. And, where is God? Well, God showed up in the work last night. God showed up as we prayed for her and her husband. God was there in our fellowship and in our meeting the need.

And, God spoke directly to me. Truthfully, when I first arrived I wondered what really had to be done because the yard appeared flawless. There was even a WEEDMAN sign out front. Did I have the wrong address?

From the street one would never know there was a mess out back…not a huge mess – but it did need some attention. I thought about my own life – how, from the curb – or from the front you might not see the ‘mess in the backyard’ of my life. We need to invite God into those dark, shaded places where the leaves and debris collect. It takes continuous maintenance – prayer, reading the Word, support from each other. We need to shine the light into those areas of our lives; expose those regions of pain or shame and invite healing and renewal from Christ.

There’s some stuff I’m working on. I am reluctant. I hesitate. And, God calls me forward just the same. I struggle to accept His prompting in my life because it is so much easier to remain in the shade. To wait and watch others do all the work is just dead wrong.

And, how many men wait on the sidelines to be invited into the game? Some guys seem happy to observe from a distance as mere spectators but something deep inside each man is longing to be called into the adventure. Think of the men you know. Encourage them. Invite them off the couch of doom and into the fray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Robb. I think one thing we have all learned since Sunday is that men want to help. We want to be a part of something but somebody has to be the first to say something. That part's done. Now look at what's happened. It's wonderful.

Nikki said...

There's absolutely nothing like the Lord's family... I'm so touched and inspired by the banding together of you and your brothers in Christ to help. I've been helped similarly by a collection of my brothers in Christ on several occassions and there are not enough words to express the gratitude that I've felt because of their assistance. It's a help that is grateful to be delivered, not dreaded out of obligation, and love pours out of the process.

When we serve Him, by serving others, I don't think we realize how much more pours out of us that we don't see; that we don't realize.

There are so many wonderful things about fellowship and what you have written in this post. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say...God Rocks! :)