Welcome

The Sons of Thunder is a Christian band and part of a larger, growing group of average guys who have decided to take a stand for Christ and work on becoming better husbands and fathers - yes, even sons.

The Sons of Thunder was hatched about 5 years ago. This group often leads/joins a larger group of men in study and prayer and seeks to serve the wider community.

Based in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, SOT has been known to tackle a range of projects - everything from home maintenance chores to helping move immigrant families. In 2008, the group did some missions work in NYC serving, playing and singing at the Bowery Mission. As is often the case, those who went to 'minister' were 'ministered to'. When the praises go up...the blessings come down!

If you live on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, look us up at Bridgewater Baptist Church. And feel free to invite us to lead or participate in your event. We love road trips! Rock on!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tombstone Story

How do you want to be remembered? In our EPIC study, we've been talking about the "Story of the Bible" and our place in the story. Here's an interesting article by author/ comedian Phil Callaway, on a brief summary of your life - your tombstone story! Have a quick read.


TOMBSTONE EVANGELISM, by Phil Callaway

On the night of my 35th birthday, I tucked my ten-year-old into bed. He squinted at me. "How old are you?" he said. "Thirty-five, Son," I replied. "Wow!" yelled Stephen, "You're half dead!" I tucked him in calmly, went across the hall and removed him from the will. Actually, I got thinking about how fast these years have gone. And we pick up speed the closer we get to Home. So I decided to pick out a tombstone. There are some real winners out there.

One says, "He should have ducked." Another headstone reads, "Here lies an atheist. All dressed up and no place to go." A woman in Key West, Florida, married to a man who was known as a womanizer, ordered a tombstone that read: "Frank, at least I know where you're sleeping tonight." Such a horrible epitaph should cause us to ask ourselves: What are we leaving behind? What will be our legacy?

I asked some of the best-known Christians of our time those questions. I think you'll enjoy their answers.

Josh McDowell, the internationally-renowned apologist said, "When God called me into the ministry He never called me to be successful. He called me to be obedient. And I'd like to be remembered as a man who was obedient and faithful right up to the end. I want to take as many people as I can with me to Heaven, and enjoy life along the way."

Author Elizabeth Elliot had a simple answer: "I want to be remembered as a servant of God. Nothing else."

Popular singer Steven Curtis Chapman said: "I hope my children will say I was a committed father. And it would be nice if people remembered a song here and there, but that's pretty insignificant compared to my desire to know Christ and to make Him known."

And popular songwriter Gloria Gaither, whose song "Because He Lives" has been translated into almost every known language on earth, summed it up this way: "If I had to write my epitaph, it would probably say, 'She gave herself away for the things that last forever.'"

And what would I like on my tombstone? Simply this: "He found God's grace too amazing to keep to himself."

How about you? What would you like to be remembered for? Even when you're half dead, you still live your life on purpose!

Phil Callaway is an award-winning writer and popular speaker.
Visit him online at philcallaway.com

No comments: